Author Topic: HOLIDAYS : BY Prakash Sir  (Read 3272 times)

Offline sassy.prak

HOLIDAYS : BY Prakash Sir
« on: July 14, 2015, 12:53:19 PM »
aye aye sir @prakash sir
sentiment is weaknes

Zachobian

Re: HOLIDAYS : BY Prakash Sir
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 02:47:04 PM »
sassy
well done

Offline sassy.prak

sentiment is weaknes

Zachobian

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 09:37:24 PM »
Well  took  a  short trip to cool my heels  by visiting  "Shillong" in far North East of India.
It is also called the "Scotland of the East."

Wonderful place and wonderful people.
Very Scenic and a little crowded for a hill station,(which is actually a nice feeling).
The weather was nice, a little warm but still cool (but not  cold).

There is ample place to stay for all budgets. But its better if  ones books in advance.
Occupancy in  Hotels are very high troughout the year, especially the luxury ones.
And anyone thinking about going to Shillong don't worry about the food.
Its in India, Veg/Non Veg  Indian, Mogul, North Indian south Indian and Chinese  Foods- all is available in plenty.
There is also other Local food joints for adventure lovers.

The Drive  to Shillong is very special.The Fauna is only to be seen.
The last leg from umiam Lake to Shillong is truly a great feeling with pine trees on both side of the road and  the cool Misty breeze running down your spine.

Wonderful Place to recoil.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 10:00:33 PM by Zachobian »

Zachobian

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 09:58:31 PM »
sassy
a Little surprised  by the list.

Gulmarg and Pahelgam in J&K is not in that list.
I have personally visited Gulmarg many years ago.
Spent almost a month there with the winter snow learning to ski.
Finally rewarded with a certificate of Sking in basics from the Govt. of J & K.
Infact I have certified Ski-er for both water and alpine ski-ing. ;)

(gotta tell my son about it next time he calls  me - being lazy man)

Also Darjeeling  is another wonderful hill station missing from that list.

Offline sassy.prak

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 10:33:38 PM »
:)
i happened to see that list a couple of days back on facebook and so i just posted
infact the way you described shillong, will put that in my list after ladakh and leh trip
i want to visit that place when they actually dont allow tourists.
planned last year but could find no one to help in this regard
so i think i wiill try shillong when its toooo cold.. well after watching some movies i can say it would give a "kick" :P
sentiment is weaknes

Zachobian

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 11:05:31 PM »
Thanks stockchartist.

Yes I love the Mountains.

But  I have hills to climb........

Offline sassy.prak

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 09:29:52 PM »
has any one been to chail in himachal pradesh ?? read its kind of awesome and some one said better than shimla
sentiment is weaknes

Offline prakash

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2015, 10:42:59 AM »

Siachen

the Bug & the Setup…

It was some 4 decades back in the year 1973 that the adventure bug bit me hard and the poison infected me deep within, it started with Snow Skiing in Gulmarg and getting used to the adrenaline rush Skiing down the slope at very high speeds with cold winds touching  the nostrils and the ears is an amazing feeling, it was here that I was introduced to the Sport of Sky Diving and I had to wait a good 40 years to fulfill my dream to jump solo from an airplane...risk to me was like a magnet and I instantly got attracted to the risk in sport and if the sport did not have any inherent risk then I would let it pass. I continued with Trekking in the Himalayas in my early days, indulged in Water Skiing in the lovely, beautiful and Scenic Nagin Lake in Kashmir. I was so fascinated with flying and spent hours watching birds flying and souring effortlessly in air and that attracted me to the amazing British Sport of Gliding and I was amazed that an aircraft made of just Paper & Wood and with just four basic instruments could be flown in air for hours together with ‘Zero Power” of its own, it was just the Airmanship skill of the Pilot that kept him in the air. It was just 2 seconds to death on 7th May 1978 for me, where my aircraft went into a spin and I managed to recover in time, 2 more seconds and I would be history that was the closest I have come to death. Wow what a sport! Few years later I got involved with Hang Gliding and those days nothing could be imported and so few amateur flying freaks got together and built a Hang Glider made of Resin cloth the blue color kind some use these days to protects their huts from rain fall and the Aluminum tubes procured from the local market and some steel wire to hold, the passion was so strong that it was always a trial and error method of working and we had to cart the Hang Glider on our shoulders atop a mountain and jump as long as winds were favorable and there was a good landing site available as we had to avoid the transmission power lines in the hills of Kamshet and then came Wind Surfing where one really had to use the winds to ones advantage and surf the water for hours together on a  little 2 feet wide board but it was always the element of risk that attracted me as if the soul in me was in search of something or rather wanted me to be free…a search for freedom perhaps… years later imported equipment was easily available and so Para Sailing was an instant hit and again it was in the good old natural Kamshet hills.

Once while trekking in the mountains of Kashmir sometime back, I found I had few days to spare and I ventured towards Drass & Kargil and here I was stunned to see the high mountains ranges totally barren and realized that it must have been a herculean task to win back the mountain from the enemy for the Indian Army Soldiers. I spent some time at the memorial there and it dawned for the first that time that my indulgence in adventure was nothing compared to the soldier in the Indian Army and I decided that one day I would love to visit the Siachen Glacier whenever I got the chance to do so.

the Siachen Glacier… (the forbidden territory)

(It was at Vijay Divas celebrations recently here in Mumbai celebrating India’s 1971 victory over Pakistan that I requested an Army General friend to go to the Siachen Glacier and he instantly agreed and said ‘fix’ the dates. I decided on April 12-20 window.)

A small team Otterites of Skiers and true Adventure lovers starting with my nephew Sanat Gaba and two of my very dear friends Mr. Ayaz Kazi & Dr Mahesh Kuwelkar was finalized and applied for permissions to visit the Glacier. Dates finalized were April 12-20 window
We landed in Leh in on April 12 and had to acclimatize to the high altitude of 11562 for two days before we could embark on our journey to the Siachen Glacier. I must confess we found it a bit difficult to climb stairs due to low oxygen levels and Leh was very cold too at this time of the year.

Pangong Lake passing thru Changla pass situated at 17590 feet was sooo breezy and cold that it was difficult to even spend a minute at the pass. The oxygen level was so low that even a cigarette lighter could not be used. We spent the night at an Army Camp at Tangtse in a very harsh climate conditions, in the nights the temperatures were nothing less than -25 and with the wind chill factor it could have gone down lower to even -40. I have never experienced a colder night in my over 40 years of adventure. We then moved back to Leh for 2 nights again to acclimatize and to prepare ourselves for a much harsher weather conditions. We travelled to closer to the Siachen Glacier via the Khardungla pass also commonly referred to as the highest motor able road in the world at an altitude of 18379 and stayed overnight at Army camp at Paratpur very close to the China border, here too the weather conditions were very severe and the next morning after a few hours’ drive we finally reached the forbidden territory the Siachen Glacier and our dream had finally come true. A demonstration was organized for us where soldiers climbed a vertical ice wall. The experience was jaw dropping.

Siachen Glacier is vast stretch of river that is frozen, known as icy river it stretches for around 76 kilometers in length and has various tributaries to it, it starts from an altitude of 12000 feet and the army bunkers are from 17000 feet to over 26000 feet altitude, the nearest post takes at least 4 days to climb and farthest a good 22 days. There are crevices on the path and the soldier is trained and geared to survive that harsh terrain at every step. The casualty is more from the weather then from the enemy fire. A soldier can survive hunger but he needs his daily kerosene and a match box to light his burner to keep him warm. Weather in harsh climate truly kills.

the Adventure…

After spending some 3 hours on the Siachen Glacier and the memorial enjoying the Army hospitality, we travelled back to Leh and had to cross the Khardungla pass again but this time it was a traumatic experience as we had left late after lunch and we had to clear the pass of 18379 before sunset and as fast as we could as the road could be blocked due to fresh snow fall or some break downs on the way. It was advised that no one spends more than 30 minutes on the pass due to very low levels of oxygen in the air. Our vehicles had to be chained to encounter snow driving conditions near the top and that took around 15 minutes and so we had just a 15 minute window to clear the pass and unchain the vehicle. The driver could not drive at more than 10 kilometers an hour as the road was very slippery due to snow and ice formation and to add to it none of our four phones were working on the way as there was no reception, fortunately the soldier accompanying had a BSNL connection. Our worry was in case of a breakdown, venturing outside the vehicle would kill us due to extreme cold and low level of Oxygen and staying inside the vehicle would also be a threat as that would increase the carbon dioxide level in the car. It was truly a catch 22 situation and we were doomed both ways. I knew for a fact that a phone call to the Army exchange would be enough to bring in the rescue team. We cleared the pass late at 7.20 in the evening and we were the last vehicle to clear the pass that day. That was a close call.

the Indian Army

We saw a very professional Army and a very much a disciplined Army. Here the order is the command and the junior does not question it, nor cross checks it and follows the order for he knows that his officer would never risk his life. There is no discrimination. He is taught to trust & to act.

We saw the practice of true Secularism in the Army and felt proud, the concept of MMGC. Mandir, Masjid, Gurudwara. Church all under one roof was so secular in practice that every soldier visits the OP Baba temple before assaulting the Glacier and also after returning from the Glacier. 

What we also found was that the soldier or the young Commissioned officers were very happy doing what they were doing ever day with a sense of pride and honor for the country. He gives his today with his heart and soul so that you and I can have our tomorrow.

Siachen Glacier in my 40 years of adventures has been the most grueling and tough adventure I have ever experienced as we had to travel from 12000 to over 17000 & back to around 12000 and then up again to over 18000 and drop then to a low of 7000 and up again to 12000 in matter of hours but to the Indian Army Soldier, it is sooo routine and basic that it just starts here and gets difficult as one climb further up with over 40 lbs of equipment. Siachen has been a life changing experience for all of us and has been the ultimate experience but for the soldier in the Indian Army, it is really a child’s play. We all felt very small, like a Pigmy compared to a soldier in the Indian Army.

Now when I see a man in uniform, may he be a Naik or a Junior Commissioned Officer, there has to be a respect for him, if not then perhaps something is wrong with us.

Jai hind.
Regards
Prakash Gaba

Offline sassy.prak

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2015, 07:48:06 PM »
SIRRR ! i was not even born.. "nayi roshni aur purani me fark bas itna hi hai , inhe kashti nahi milti , unhe sahil nahi mmilta" but you seem to have both
sentiment is weaknes

Offline prakash

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2015, 09:35:29 AM »
Regards
Prakash Gaba

Offline sassy.prak

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2015, 03:28:11 PM »
http://www.holidayiq.com/blog/woah-7-destinations-india-look-exactly-places-europe-1002.html

Woah! 7 Destinations In India That Look Exactly Like Places In Europe
sentiment is weaknes

Offline sassy.prak

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2015, 01:08:08 PM »
sir when is the holiday time  going to begin.. for me a couple of months :)
sentiment is weaknes

Offline sassy.prak

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2015, 04:46:06 PM »
sentiment is weaknes